Finding a daily routine that works for you. Where do you find one, you ask. Good question, we’re going in…
Yesterday, I told you about two struggles that were holding you back from staying organized. If you haven’t read the post yet, here is the link http://happilyeveruncluttered.com/2015/07/21/two-reasons-you-struggle-with-staying-organized/
One of the struggles that is holding you back is not having a daily routine that works for you. Today, we are going to talk about HOW to find a daily routine that works for you. I told you to find something that works for you and stick to it. What in the world does that mean, where do you go to find a daily routine?
Well, you go within. You can’t just start doing what your sister or friend does in their daily routine and expect it to work. You can get ideas from them, sure you can try their ways. But, ultimately their life is not your life. You have different responsibilities in your home than your sister or friend has in theirs. So, try what works for you. No one else.
Here are some example questions to ask yourself in finding what works for you:
- Some people do their laundry in one day, some do it every day. Which way works best for you? I have tried both ways. Personally, I don’t like having one more thing on my to do list every day.
- Are you the type to load the dishwasher or wash the dishes as you go? Or do you prefer to do it all at once?
- Is your house animal free, where you can get away with vacuuming and mopping the floors once a week or does it need to be a daily task at your house?
- Does it bother you to have dirty clothes laying all over the place in your bedroom, if so make it a priority to change that.
- Do you shower in the morning, at night, or both? Yes, this is part of your daily routine.
- Do you prefer to wipe out your sinks every morning or every evening?
- When it comes to dinner, do you like to take an hour making dinner every night, or would you rather know what is being made and what you have to do to get it made?
- Would you rather plan you day in the morning when you wake or already have a plan before you go to bed the night before?
- Are you the type of person who likes to run errands everyday or is there a certain day of the week you would prefer to do it?
- Do you like to pick up the house as the day progresses or would you rather do it the last part of the evening.
These are just a couple questions to ask yourself while you are trying to find a daily routine that works for you. Once you have a routine you will feel as though things just seem to go smoother. Pick out some of these and try them for awhile, see which way works best for you. It is all about finding what works for you naturally, not what you struggle with. If you struggle, you are less likely to keep it up. For me, I know if something in my daily routine has a whole bunch of steps. I am not going to follow through. That is just who I am. But, the question is – Who are you? What works for you? This process is a journey.
As you begin to find what works for you and you begin to make it a daily habit, things will begin to fall into place. They will become second nature to you. So much so you will no longer need to think about doing them everyday. That is why you have to stick with it.
Having a daily routine is so important. There is a quote that has been said by several wise men, Winston Churchill
being one of them, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” If we can set up the bones of our day, EVERYDAY, there will be far less days that feel like failures. Take this journey with me, find what works for you, stick with it, and Let’s plan our days, so our days don’t feel like failures.
If you are already doing so, I would love to hear what you do that helps your routine flow more smoothly.