Does clutter have a way of making itself part of your home décor? Do you have the best of intentions of putting totes in the attic and a month later they still sit in the same spot?
Perhaps you got a really good deal on some Christmas lights 3 months ago that you plan to use this coming Christmas, but until then – they have found a home on your counter in your kitchen.
Maybe you aren’t so bad with the bigger things or even the after Christmas sales, but you find yourself making piles throughout your home. And the piles you have made have been there so long you don’t remember what the flat surface looked like with nothing on it.
Want to change the fact that your clutter has become part of your décor and actually enjoy the stuff you bought as décor to begin with?
How to get rid of your current clutter that has been there so long it’s actually home décor.
Let’s face it – it’s been there so long because you simple didn’t want to deal with it. You may even have said to yourself a time or two, why didn’t I just put it away when I was first working on the project.
Hindsight is always 20/20 my friend.
So – deal with it, you’ll be glad you did. Here are some ideas of how to do that.
- Write down all the clutter that has found its home in place of home décor. Write each object on a date on your calendar, that’s the date you will put away each item.
- Or simply get up and start putting everything away now. Not stopping until your home décor no longer consists of clutter.
Here are ways to avoid clutter in the future:
It’s easy just to say, “just put the stuff away” isn’t it?
- If you aren’t familiar with the one touch rule, you can read more about it here.
- Getting your kids involved in the one touch rule is another great way to conquer the clutter and keep it at bay.
- If something is going to take less than a minute to put away, then get in the habit of going ahead and putting it away.
- Give yourself 10 minutes every night to put away anything that didn’t find its way home during the day.
- Or at the end of the week you can put everything away then. Keeping in mind it’ll be a week’s worth of stuff needing to be put away and will take a lot longer.
Benefits of no more Home Décor clutter:
- Stop beating yourself up over it
- Cleaned off flat surfaces
- Less clutter
- No more guilt over the piles
If you no longer need it or no longer have a use for it. Get rid of it. Don’t keep it or store it to go through later.
Want to be clutter free?
You’ll be surprised at how much you can do with just 10 minutes a day. Sign up and start decluttering today with this email series made just for you!